The Yamaha Motif is a series of music workstation synthesizers, first released by Yamaha Corporation in August 2001. The Motif series has been popular and enduring, with several models released over the years, including the Motif Classic, Motif ES, Motif XS, and Motif XF. The Motif synthesizers are known for their high-quality sounds, powerful features, and user-friendly interfaces, making them attractive options for musicians and producers.
The Motif series has seen several models released over the years, each with its own improvements and features:
1. Motif Classic (2001): The original Motif series, available in 61-key (Motif 6), 76-key (Motif 7), and 88-key (Motif 8) versions.
2. Motif ES (2003): An updated version of the Motif Classic, also available in 61-key (Motif ES6), 76-key (Motif ES7), and 88-key (Motif ES8) versions.
3. Motif XS (2007): A further update to the series, available in 61-key (Motif XS6), 76-key (Motif XS7), and 88-key (Motif XS8) versions.
4. Motif XF (2010): The latest version of the Motif series, available in 61-key (Motif XF6), 76-key (Motif XF7), and 88-key (Motif XF8) versions.
In addition to the main keyboard models, Yamaha also released rack-mount versions and more affordable “lite” versions, such as the MO6/MO8, MOX6/MOX8, and MOXF6/MOXF8.
Impact and Popularity
The Yamaha Motif series has been popular among musicians and producers due to its high-quality sounds, powerful features, and user-friendly interfaces. The Motif synthesizers have been used by a wide range of artists and producers across various genres, contributing to their popularity and enduring appeal.
Technical Specifications and Features
The technical specifications and features of the Motif series have evolved over time, with each new model offering improvements and additional capabilities. Some common features across the series include:
– 61, 76, or 88-key keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity
– 16-voice polyphony
– Advanced synthesis methods, including AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) and Expanded Articulation
– On-board effects, including reverb, chorus, and insertion effects
– Sequencer with note capacity ranging from 130,000 to 226,000 notes, depending on the model
– Full MIDI implementation and integration with DAW software
Influence on Music Production
The Yamaha Motif series has had a significant influence on music production due to its high-quality sounds, powerful features, and user-friendly interfaces. The synthesizers have been used by a wide range of artists and producers across various genres, contributing to their popularity and enduring appeal. The Motif series has also inspired the development of other Yamaha instruments, such as the Montage series, which builds upon the legacy of the Motif synthesizers.